had a bad day

So, Mom left on Monday morning. Balan dropped her off at the airport, came back home, took Avni to school while I got Aaron ready and we all three went to got himself vaccinated. Then we all three went to pick up Avni from school and then Balan left to office. My life started with two little kids all on my own. I was determined to make it smooth and normal so that we can have a normal life with two little kids. I even made chapathi and cauliflower curry for dinner and settled in bed by 8pm well before Balan came home, not just to make it smooth and normal with two little kids, but also because I had a big day on Tuesday.

On Monday itself I did a few things in advance so that I will have few less things to do in the morning. I had packed Aaron’s bag and kept my things in it as well so that i will have one less thing to do in the morning. I had asked Balan to leave Avni’s bag in the car itself so that i will have another one less thing to carry. I had cooked lemon rice and boiled egg for Avni. we had left overs in the fridge for that day, so i didn’t cook anything for us. As most nights, it was a rough early morning night, meaning, Aaron wakes up around 2am and then either he stirs up a lot or i lie awake for two to three hours and then he wakes up for his next feed. On Tuesday morning Balan had to leave town to attend a  training (and won’t be home for three days) so he woke up little early, got Avni showered and he started getting ready. I packed bottles and hot water in the baby bag and kept it ready for Balan to  leave it in my car so that I will have one less thing to carry. Balan left for training. I got ready. remembered few more little things and did them all. We all three were ready y 8.40am. The plan was to leave Avni at her school and then Aaron and I go to community centre where I was going to start a baby group as the one running it. Baby group should be over by 11:30, go and pick up Avni and we all three should be back home for lunch. then lunch for Avni, feeding for Aaron and something for my tummy was the plan. It might sound like how a normal mother with two kids life will be. the little problem for me is that I live in second floor, and both my kids need to be carried. I don’t remember that I had Csec just ten weeks ago. So, I am overly worried and was trying to be super organised so that I can manage. So, I was going to open the door, which has self locking lock at the slam of the door, and leave the house. I just asked myself the question whether I had taken everything, and then I realised that my purse, wallet, key were all not with me (they were all in the baby bag which I had asked Balan to leave it in the car  for me) , so I thought I must remember to take everything since I will not be able to get in if I forget anything. Then it flashed in my head that I did not have access to those items at all as the car was LOCKED! Balan used his key to open the car and locked it. My key for the car was inside my purse which was inside the baby bag which was inside the LOCKED car!. Thank God that I hadn’t slammed the door. But Avni was already going down the stairs and Aaron was inside the house, well packed in his car seat. I left the door open, locking the self locking system so that it wouldn’t lock, ran and grabbed Avni, ran back in and sat shocked. took a couple of breaths to compose myself and then started thinking. Things could have been worse. We all were safe and inside our home where we have food and blankets and everything.  I have a crappy mobile phone which does not retain charge, and thankfully we all were inside our home where we have landline for outside access. Luckily the door did not get locked when I ran to grab Avni back, otherwise Aaron would have got locked in while we both would have got locked out. Thank God I remembered about the keys before slamming the door otherwise…. . Things could have been worse.

Then I phoned a friend asking for his advise and tips to handle the situation. He suggested that we all stay inside as that was the safest option. I wanted to push myself and go out and start the group as I had already postponed the start by a week because I had bad cold. It was going to get me very bad reputation. But, as luck would have it, we were all locked in.

I started visualising what and all could have gone worse. I broke down and cried for few minutes. Then composed myself again.

Avni was upset for not going out. But I managed it. I called up the community centre and informed the situation. And I took it easy for the rest of the day.

I thought we managed it and the day was going to come to an end.  nope.  we had power cut. I think it was around 7pm. I  can’t recollect well of the time. But it was dark. light from the laptop helped us as an emergency lamp. Phoned the friend again. He suggested that I go and look for the emergency lamp as the laptop won’t last for more than three hours. I needed the laptop light to help me search, but I couldn’t leave the kids in the dark. Luckily the power came back while I was onthe  phone itself. So relieved.

I got the idea that balan was not going to come back home (the training place was just 1 and 1/2 an hour drive) to get me the keys from the car and I also thought that I may not need the keys as I decided to stay put inside the house until he comes back after the training. But the power cut situation made me rethink. I told balan that i might need the keys when he phoned to check up on us.

then I thought that was it. nope. Avni started vomitting badly after we all had settled in our bed for the night. I cleaned up everything and felt strongly that I needed the keys, in case I need to go to the hospital. Avni settled alright. Balan came home and got me the keys from the car.

Oh did I mention that Avni took off her clothes and poo nappy when I was not looking and made a mess which I had to clean? also, did I mention that i was having throat infection that I was coughing all day? or did I mention that it was one of those three days in a month that I just wanted to be in bed?

But managed to click a few pictures of the kids that day.

It was just a bad day.

Guess what I did after that, I have been browsing youtube all three days, feeding and nappy changing  both the kids in between my browsing. I have even found a “judging amy” page.  last night was fine with me alone handling both the kids. Hope to have some drink tonight when the other child minder of the house returns back home.


7 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. B o o.
    Mar 25, 2010 @ 19:12:22

    ouch. ouch. ouch. when it rains, it pours, huh?
    Glad you guys were nt locked out. Hang in there. It can only get better from here. 🙂


  2. uttara
    Mar 25, 2010 @ 23:34:18

    Oh poor thing. What an awful day. Hope things are better now


  3. sudha
    Mar 26, 2010 @ 04:58:43

    Oh its so so so frustrating when a planned out day doesn’t work out. I am so sorry, .


  4. Michelle
    Mar 26, 2010 @ 08:39:39

    Oh what a horrible day! 😦 I’m glad you weren’t locked out of the house, at least.

    Since we had so many power outs in Africa I still tend to keep a torch or candles in each room. I still don’t trust the idea of relying on electricity – we have two stand alone heaters in case of power cuts in cold weather. Africans stay prepared. ;-D

    Our worst day in Africa with power cuts… 52 hours of no power, no phones and no mobile phones – due to storms. My gran was on an oxygen machine at home, but had to go onto oxygen bottles… they only last 3 hours. So there were many panic moments driving to doctors and hospitals trying to get extra oxygen.

    Personally… I think dealing with little children is way more stressful than dealing with oxygen bottles. You need a medal AND a big treat and a (((HUG)))


  5. srilatha
    Mar 26, 2010 @ 08:39:40

    ore thrill than ponga…marma novel padikara mathiri ore thik thik-nu irunthathu.


  6. WA
    Mar 26, 2010 @ 15:42:30

    Things will get better Prema, hang in there x


  7. Balaji S Rajan
    Apr 02, 2010 @ 22:24:23


    Hats off to you for handling the situation as efficiently as you could. Remaining calm during such situations is the best thing. I think you did the best. Personally I always hated the idea of automatic locking system, just because of the hassles. This would have given you a great experience now. Now you know how to handle such a bad day with sequence of worst situation.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: