Here is my second time story

Having had this puli varuthu episodes several times, I was little less panicky whenever I had contraction like pain after my second visit to the delivery suite.  We had birthday party for Muffin on 9th Jan and I cooked lunch for the guests. Some of the guests didn’t turn up because of the bad weather, but I had to cook for them all anyway. I baked the cake as well. I have been getting braxton hicks if there was some physical exertion  in that day. So, I wasn’t seriously worried when I had contraction like pain just before the guests were leaving.  Monitored the pain. it was not regular and subsided slowly. So I went to bed happily. On the following day, Sunday, we had many clearing up and tidying up to do. I so wanted the house to be ready as that was the only weekend we had before the baby arrival, as on Monday (11th Jan) I had Anesthetic appointment to review anesthesia option and on the following Monday, the 18th i was going to have C sec. Even if everything goes according to plan, we had just another weekend before we bring the new baby home and there is a high possibility that I may go into labour before that.  At the end of Sunday after some hectic clearing and tidying up, I had pain again. Now, I have to be really wise and sure in decisions, as Balan was also very tired and had his hectic brand new week ahead with additional school runs for Muffin.  Muffin was going to start her school from Monday. So, the plan for Monday was that We all go and leave Muffin at her school on her first day, wait three hours, pick her up, have lunch at McD or somewhere like that and then go to anesthetic appointment (Balan had taken the day off). So, an unnecessary visit to the delivery suite at late hours will only exhaust us. I started monitoring and the interval was 15 mins and the contractions were regular. It kind of gave me alarm bells that what if it indeed is real contraction and many have told me that second babies happen very quick that i have to act quick. So, I called up the delivery suite and they asked me to come in immediately. hmmm. the driving conditions weren’t best outside with snow covered slippery skiddy roads. Then there was the issue about childcare for muffin. I thought we can take muffin with us, but the delivery suite staff clearly told me not to bring her. (But we did have her with us during our previous visits). First time we had to leave her alone with my mom for a night. we sneaked out. The bags were already loaded in the car, so sneaking out was not difficult.

We checked in around 9:30. Contraction were started getting intense and I was more and more sure that this time it is going to be real. I have no idea why still i didn’t feel that i was going to deliver baby that day. I didn’t feel the first time around as well. I guess my instincts never do their job well. anyway, in we went to the delivery suite for the third time. I reported at the desk and specifically mentioned, “you might have been expecting me little later as we mentioned that we didn’t have childcare at that time but i got that arranged much quicker than I thought, so, here i am sooner than you expected…… “… always too precise with too many detail, but aim to be accurate. They were all busy. nobody attended us. Contractions were getting intense. I told balan that it is good that we decided to come otherwise we would have had it difficult.

When the delivery suite staffs finally came to talk to us, they straight away gave me a delivery roon and asked me to wait there. Balan had parked the car in 30 min parking and did not carry the bags to the hospital. The staffs did a good review of my history and decided to give me gas and air for the internal examination itself.  the doctor told that the cervix was not open. The doctors and nurses told me that they will not do the C sec yet and I will have to wait until the booked date, which was a week later. I didn’t quite understand what they meant. Are they asking me to go home and come back? how will i know when to come back as the only sign i know is the contraction, which i am already having? so i asked. they clarified that  I was going to be moved to a different ward where i was going to be kept under monitor. Again I didn’t understand. Are they going to keep me in the hospital for a week and I asked to be in pain for a week? They said that they will review again in the morning as it was Sunday and night time, the staffs on duty were not keen on doing a C sec at that time. I thought fair enough. They monitored me again and the contractions were strong and very regular but not progressing. So they told me to go to sleep if i can. I asked Balan to go home and have some sleep as he had to take Muffin to school in the morning. I didn’t want the second one already affecting Muffin’s life and that day being her first day at school, i thought it was even more important that her day goes as perfect as possible. Balan brought the bags and left them with me and went home. Nurses checked on me now and then as i was too quiet for a person having contraction. they even asked whether i spoke English.

Monday morning. A different nurse came in and informed that she was going to look after me for the day. a doctor came in and told me that he was going to review my case now. I have been just waiting for them all as the contraction was getting intense and intense and i couldn’t tolerate the pain anymore. gas and air was not helping greatly either. so i had stopped using it long before. I had to go to loo and i had bloody show. i came back. The doctor asked me whether i spoke English. The nurse immediately corrected that i was just too quiet woman. the doctor was so cruel that he thought he could use the situation, thinking that a woman in labour will give in if she was bombarded with too many arguments.  He told me that i was not in labour. what does that mean?  the contractions, the bloody show.. don’t they mean anything? he tried to argue with me that he will do C sec only on the booked date which was a week later. That’s when I thought that i must open my mouth and i did that very well. I told him in a stern voice (i guess the pain helped me to make it even more firm) that i will not go home. He said that he did not tell that he was going to send me home. Then I asked him what he meant by saying that he will do C sec only a week later, was he going to keep in pain for a week? then he again told me that i had not dilated and he will not do C sec yet. Then he did the internal exam. i had dilated 5 cm then. then he asked all the staffs to act quickly. Again he tried to convince me for normal delivery and then at least for epidural (not GA).  I just told him a clear no and asked him to stick to my birth plan request, which was C sec, GA.  Things started happening pretty fast after that. They told me that they were going to fit me in a slot they got for C sec. The nurse asked me about Balan and I gave her balan’s number and asked her to text him. I phoned balan who was already on his way to the hospital after leaving Muffin at school. An anesthetist came and started his job. Nurse was preparing me for the theatre. Balan came just before i was going to go inside the theatre. I told him that i was going to have C sec in just a few minutes. It was 10am. They didn’t wheel me in, but I was asked to run to the theatre as they had to really rush things. so many things were happening around me. I was put to sleep.

Later Balan told  me that the nurse told him that it would take few hours and so he left to pick up Muffin from school. But I was out less than an hour, which we came to know later. So, Balan was not there when the baby was out. It was the nurse who held and fed the baby.

When I woke up i saw  the nurses feeding a baby. I asked for morphine. she told that they had already given me some. I asked for more. she smiled and told me that i have been pushing my luck a lot. but they gave me some more and i went to sleep again.

when i woke up again, balan was there. and the nurse was teaching him to feed the baby. I asked balan to take photo with the nurse. we were wheeled to postnatal ward. it was 3 or 4pm. I was under the influence of heavy dose of morphine for the rest of the day, that night and following morning. i was given toast for breakfast which i couldn’t eat because i was falling asleep holding the bread in hand. Postnatal ward staffs have been feeding and nappy changing the baby. They were very helpful until i was ready.

Muffin visited us on Tuesday and was very pleased to see a baby. We taught her to “touch” and be “gentle”.

I stayed in the hospital for Tuesday night as well.  Midwife told me that i was ready to go home. The driving condition outside was particularly bad. But we took the risk and came home. Luckily we all reached home safely. Muffin was pleased to see us all back home.  We had already decided the name. so my life as a mother of two started there.

(Will edit and correct  if I get time and patience to read it again).


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: